In-Kind Donation FAQ
Thank you for your interest in supporting The Avery Center with an in-kind donation! We've compiled the following FAQ to answer common questions about new and gently used donations.
What new and unopened items do you accept?
- FTC (Fair Trade Certified) products in quantities of 50 and 100
- Office supplies (paper, pens/pencils/markers, paper clips, staplers, packing tape)
- Padded shipping envelopes
- Cleaning supplies and tools
- Full-sized hygiene products (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant)
- Paper products (tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates and cups)
- Economy-size laundry products (HE liquid detergent, HE liquid softener, splash-less bleach, dryer sheets)
- Organic and gluten-free foods (shelf-stable boxed and canned items, dairy products, fresh produce)
- Full-sized makeup, hair and beauty products
What new or gently used items do you accept?
- Accessories (purses, bags, backpacks, outerwear, scarves, glasses, hats, etc.)
- Home décor
- Books (all bindings, all years, all genres!)
Contact us at email@example.com if you have any additional questions about new or gently used donations.
Do you accept furniture?
We accept furniture on a limited basis, dependent upon storage space availability and/or immediate need within our offices and for those we walk alongside. Please contact us with information about the furniture item(s) you are looking to donate to find out more about immediate need.
When and where can I drop off in-kind donations?
After scheduling a drop-off time, you will receive instructions on how to bring the items to our offices in downtown Greeley. There is no secure way to leave donations outside of a scheduled drop-off, so please do not leave items on our front porch or by our back door!
Can you come pick up items from my home/office?
We are unable to provide donation pick-up at this time.
Is my in-kind donation tax deductible?
We will provide you with a donation receipt at your scheduled drop-off time. The IRS requires that you estimate the market value of the items you donate. The Avery Center cannot make this estimate for you. Donors do not receive any goods or services in return for their donations to The Avery Center. Federal law states that items must be in “good used condition or better” to qualify for a tax deduction. You may always obtain an independent appraisal of any item you feel to be worth more than $500. Please consult with your tax advisor if you have any questions.
Which programs are supported with in-kind donations?
- Job Training Program and Sparrow's Landing Boutique – New and gently used items are processed for resale by the program participants. Proceeds directly support living wages for participants.
- Care Package Program – Brand new, Fair Trade Certified items are sent to currently and previously exploited women across North America every month.
- Signature Events and On-Site Activities – New and gently used items are used in activities such as essential oil-based products and jewelry.
- Client Requests – New and gently used items are provided to those we walk with through a Want or Need Request process, which is designed to encourage and honor self-advocacy skills.
- Administrative – Office supplies, equipment, and cleaning supplies are all used on an ongoing basis to keep our offices and boutique clean and operational.
What happens to donations that you are unable to use?
We have some incredible relationships with partner organizations in our community. As we process an incoming donation, items that are in good condition that we are unable to use ourselves are passed on to other agencies that need them. This is just one way that we seek to maximize resources amongst our community partners!
What about skill and service donations?
We love our volunteers who give of their time and expertise! Some of the services we need ongoing include: home and auto repairs, tech support, lawn & garden, security, interior design, and personal/professional development.
Thank you for your interest in supporting us with an in-kind donation!